I just watched a webinar with marketing wizard, Neil Patel. 2/3 of the way through is deck of 180 slides, I found a typo. A typo! This man charges $20,000 for a one-day visit, has hundreds of well-paid staff and he has a typo in his slide deck.
Yes, the man is human. As are we all.
How many of us are held back by the fear that someone may find out that we are flawed beings? That we make mistakes? This very fear had me locked in a self-made prison where I lived for years. I was terrified to speak up in a group. Speaking in front of an audience was unimaginable. Slowly, over time, I recognized that I was losing out on career contacts, friendships and even fun because of my fear.
When my regret over my loses exceeded the need to cater to my fears, I did something about it. I joined an organization called Toastmasters. My fears did not vanish in an instant; they dissipated with experience over time with guidance and support from my Toastmaster friends. I became passionate about sharing what I learned with others as a speaker and as a workshop facilitator. And now I do the same on the internet with blogs and vlogs.
Statistics about outstanding video Return on Investment (ROI), information on how video marketing is leveraged by the competition and lists of the many opportunities video provides can do only so much. They can’t overcome fear. Insight into yourself, acknowledging the root of the anxiety and then taking small, meaningful steps to confront those worries–these are the keys to overcome your fear.
Instead of creating marketing videos, you say to yourself:
- “I don’t have the skills, so there’s no point in trying.” Your fear is telling you this may be a challenge.
- “Why bother, it’s just a passing fad.” Your fear is telling you that you are afraid to fail.
- “It’s not worth it.” Your fear is telling you it’s going to take effort and preparation.
- “I’ll get to it when I’m ready.” Your fear is telling you that setting a clear start date makes you anxious.
- “I’ll give it a try but there’s only so much I can do.” Your fear is telling you that if you try really hard and fail, you’ll I’ll be devastated-creating marketing videos is that important to you!
Do any of the statements resonate with you? Is fear standing in your way of video marketing magic?
One of the biggest values of creating your own video is that you can try–and fail–in private. And you know that failure brings you one step closer to success as long as you learn from the mistakes. And keep trying.
The learning process to overcome fear happens in steps, like this:
- I am afraid to do this and I will do it anyway.
- I want to do this because it is important to me.
- I can do this. I am a capable person.
- I like to do this. There are rewards to video marketing!
- Why did I wait so long to do this?
You already have the tools to get started. (If your are in doubt, check What Are Three Simple Skills For Easy DIY Video? for the list.)
So why wait? You know you are not perfect, and anyone who expects you to be (including you) has unrealistic expectations. If you want some guidance and support, get in touch.
The only person able to confront your fears is you. You do not have to do it alone.